SANDBANKS VACATIONS HOMES & COTTAGES IN WAUPOOS + PRINYER’S COVE
ABOUT THE AREA
Situated on Smith’s Bay on Lake Ontario about 13 km east from Picton, Waupoos is set among picturesque apple orchards, wineries, local farms and forested hills. During and after the American Revolution, Waupoos served as a point of resettlement for American United Empire Loyalists. Prior to European settlement, Waupoos (whose name is derived from the Ojibwe waabooz, “rabbit”) was inhabited by Tyendinaga Mohawks, who created a burial ground on Waupoos Island. The Conrad David House, a historically designated property on which Sir John A. MacDonald once held the mortgage, now houses the County Cider Company. [Source: Wikipedia] The Waupoos Estate Winery also makes its home in the hamlet of Waupoos and there is a marina there as well. Check out our Wine Tours!
On the opposite side of the “horn” from Waupoos lies Prinyer’s Cove — a deep, sheltered anchorage on the tip of Prince Edward County near the Upper Gap. It was first occupied by First Nations people millennia ago. Throughout the 1800’s, the cove was used by commercial schooners as a safe haven. Now dotted with cottages and vacation homes, Prinyer’s Cove is the perfect spot for those who enjoy the boating life. Prinyer’s Cove Marina has a fully stocked store, coin-operated washer/dryer and allows pets on leash. It is approximately 20-25 minutes into Picton by car and 45 minutes to Sandbanks beaches.
What to Enjoy on your Visit
- Make a special stop on the way to Prinyer’s Cove at Lake on the Mountain for great food and an incredible setting with unique history – Lake on the Mountain restaurant or The Miller’s House
- Fifth Town Artisan Cheese in Cressy
- Wine tasting at Wineries in the Waupoos Area and Reggie’s Food Truck at Cape Vineyard
- Blueberry picking (spray-free) at Little’s High Bush
- La De Dah gallery outside of Waupoos
- Historic Rose Hall Museaum
- Lunch at County Cider Co. or Waupoos Winery in the Gazebo – stellar views! Opening 2016: Waupoos Pub near the marina.
- Del-gatto Winery
- Devil’s Wishbone
- Waupoos marina
If we’ve missed one of your area favourites, please let us know!